Monday, November 21, 2011

RAI treatment

I received 100 mCi dose of radioactive iodine on Thursday, Nov. 17th.  It was a capsule that I swallowed.  They kept me at the hospital for about 15-20 minutes.  I was very radioactive by the time they sent me home.  I had to ride in the back seat of a minivan for the hour ride home.

After 4 hours of ingesting it, I started to become nauseous.  I ate a small amount of dinner but didn't feel like eating much.  Went to bed around 9:00pm.

The next morning, I was still nauseous and started vomiting.  We called the doctor and they gave me a prescription for an antiemtic.  I tried to drink water throughout the day to help flush the I31 that wasn't absorbed by leftover thyroid tissue and cells. 

By the next day, I was feeling better and could eat a little bit.

I've had to spend most of my time in the bedroom and keep a 6 foot distance between me and my family.

Two days after the treatment, I was able to start a regular diet (no more low-iodine), start my new synthroid prescription and lemon drops.  Sucking on lemon drops prevents damage to the salivary glands.

On day 3, I noticed that I couldn't fully taste the foods I eat.  I'm hoping that it doesn't last too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment